distance learning resource page
Due to this year’s public health crisis related to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Northstar School announced that it has had to suspend on-campus schooling and operations until further notice. Our teaching staff has been working diligently to modify our academic program to a distance learning model so that we can continue to provide a productive and enriching educational experience to our students.
This Distance Learning Resource Page page will provide instructions, links, resources, guides, and information to support families and staff working to keep our students engaged and learning.
teacher communication – Google classroom & zoom
Northstar teachers will be using a combination of Google Classroom and Zoom as resources to communicate and facilitate learning as appropriate for your child’s grade.
Google Classroom will serve as the primary hub for your teacher to communicate activities and studywork for students. Students have been enrolled in their respective “classrooms” and parents are responsible for accessing their students’ online classrooms. Parents have received emails providing them with unique log-in info for each of their students.
You may log-in to access your student’s Google Classroom from any device here:
- Once you navigate to Google Classroom, log in with your child’s assigned email address and PW
- Each class will have its own tile on the Google Classroom home page
- Google Chrome is the best browser to support Google Classroom
- The key features teachers will use to communicate with parents and students the are Stream and the Classwork tabs
- Stream – In the stream section two main things are shown. On the left hand side you will see any upcoming assignments and when they are due. In the middle of the stream you will see announcements and assignments from your child’s teacher.
- Classwork – Assignments are posted in the classwork tab. The assignment will include the date sent, assignment title, description, and due date. Assignments will be organized under assigned topics that are subject specific.
Some helpful info for Google Classroom:
- Managing and switching between multiple Google accounts
- Video tutorial for Parents: Guide to Google Classroom
- Google Classroom help site
If you have not received the access email or are having trouble accessing Google Classroom, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northstar teachers will be using high-quality Zoom video conferencing for live and recorded video classes. Teachers will use Google Classroom to communicate when those sessions will occur and how to access them them.
You do not need to create an account. Simply go to the Zoom links that teachers will provide. Zoom should install automatically from your browser and take you right into the meeting. However, you can download the Zoom app in advance here and learn more about using Zoom here.
Additional guides and resources:
- Edutopia article: How to Support Home Learning
- Common Sense Media: Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic
NOTE FROM NORTHSTAR STAFF:
These are unprecedented times and we ask for your patience as we navigate this journey together. In response to this very fluid situation, our staff has remained focused and ready to support our students and families in any way possible.
We understand that nothing can replace the interaction between students and teachers in the classroom, but we will do our best to partner with families to ensure continuity of learning for our students during this closure.
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.